Saturday, December 30, 2006

Our yard is bad for birds

Okay...I had just gotten out of the shower. I was downstairs in my bathroom brushing my teeth. I heard a big THUD. I was like what the hell was that, both dogs are inside. I open up our bathroom window and see these huge orange feet sticking up in the air. I call Kyle over to look and he's like What the hell is that.
We both run upstairs and look out back and this HUGE bird is upside down on its back. I go and get my camera and he gets his wits about him and flips over. HE IS HUGEEEEEEEEEEE these pictures don't do him justice.
So what is this big bird that about broke his neck in our yard??
Im assuming he hit the window and knocked himself out.
He is fine and he did fly away. Very beautiful bird, but very mysterious. What is he??? To me he looks hawkish, she we labeled him hawk til we learn otherwise LOL
He is beautiful!!
Hawk 1
hawk 2
hawk

3 comments:

Spider Girl said...

Most definitely some sort of hawk or falcon. Beautiful bird!

Your photos are so clear that I thought I might be able to identify it in my Audobon bird guide, but the thing with hawks is that they look so different when mature vs. immature and some have light/dark feather phases at other times. So I'm not sure at all alas. I miss the old days when I belonged to a birding club and was much bwetter at this sort of thing.

But it does look a lot like a sharp-shinned hawk.

Happy New Year!

for_the_lonely said...

Hey sweetie! Jenny saw the pics and said that she thinks that it is a ring-tailed falcon. She says that it looks like a young one...but that falcons do not get that big. Kestril, another kind of bird that I am sure I am not spelling right, is also what it could be. Glad to hear that he is ok! LOL

Wishing you a very Happy New Year's, Di!!!

I love ya,
Sarah

Dr. Deb said...

I think it is a baby falcon too.