Sunday, December 12, 2010

Betty

Not sure if I ever blogged about Betty, but she's a wonderful woman I workout with at the gym.

Going as much as I do, for as long as I have, you become attached to the people.

There's a woman there named Betty. I have watched her for 2 years lift weights, jog, exercise. Always with a huge smile on her face and always with kind words to say to everyone else. She's 75 years old and I never said much to her other than hi til a few months ago.

I got the honor of working out next to her quite a bit lately. I asked her how she has such ambition at her age. It's amazing to watch, especially when she always has a smile on her face.

She told me that she had cancer a few years ago. Lung cancer. It's back now and stage 2. She said as long as she's working out, she's fighting the cancer. As long as she's in there, it hasn't beat her yet.

Her husband is also battling cancer. A battle they are doing together. So, every day I go in and it's an inspiration to watch.

I didn't see her last week and I started wondering where she was. Yesterday at the gym Mike said she had, had a stroke and would be out for awhile.

Broke my heart. Another reason cancer stinks.

Please pray for Betty. She is a visible image of courage.

She called the Y to tell them she would be back in a couple of months.

I know she will be.

Courage.

Love,

~me

No comments: